PURPOSE: The GIS Technician is responsible for assisting with the implementation of projects related to the collection, maintenance and analysis of the City’s GIS and Cartegraph application data, including data collected remotely in the field. The incumbent assists the Land Information System Manager with user support, training and monitoring current industry trends and user feedback in order to continually build and improve upon the system.
· Works under the direction of the Land Information System Manager and GIS Technician III monitoring data collected by City departments for quality assurance, creation of custom reports, maps, queries and data files.
· Provides technical support to users in person, on the phone and email. When necessary, escalates issues to the Land Information System Manager and GIS Technician III for resolution.
· Maintains confidentiality of users’ data.
· Assists in the development of staff training classes using GIS, Cartegraph and Field mapping software.
· Assists the Engineering department related to the development and maintenance of the GIS system and metadata, including maintenance of data and maps for the City’s sewer collection system, water distribution system, storm water conveyance system, traffic signals and street lighting.
· Assists in updating the Cartegraph asset management system for data related to Public Works services, including but not limited to road pavement maintenance and wastewater collection.
· Assists users in the creation of widgets, automated triggers, work orders, preventative maintenance plans and other Cartegraph related functionality.
· Assists the Engineering department with the placement, mapping and attribute data entry and review of land parcels and easements within the City’s cadastral parcel fabric.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990.
GIS Technician II*:
1. An associate degree in civil engineering, geographic information systems, geography, urban planning or a similar technical degree program. A
bachelor degree in civil engineering, geographic information systems, geography or urban planning from an accredited college or university, preferred.
2. A minimum of two (2) years of professional experience with GIS software, programming, and customization.
3. Knowledge of the ESRI ArcGIS application, including advanced editing skills.
4. Knowledge of asset management systems. Cartegraph preferred.
5. Knowledge of file conversion for Auto-CAD software to ESRI formats preferred.
6. Experience with computer software programs, including Microsoft Excel, Word and Access preferred.
7. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
GIS Technician I*:
1. An associate degree in civil engineering, geographic information systems, geography, urban planning or a similar technical degree program.
2. A minimum of one (1) year of professional experience with GIS software, programming, and customization.
3. Knowledge of the ESRI ArcGIS application, including advanced editing skills. Knowledge of Cartegraph preferred.
4. Knowledge of Auto CAD systems and file conversion of ESRI formats preferred.
5. Experience with computer software programs, including Microsoft Excel, Word and Access preferred.
6. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Equivalent combinations of training and experience will be considered.
* The City has the right to fill the GIS Technician position vacancy at either the I or II level based and knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.
2023 SALARY RANGE:
GIS Technician II: Pay Range: 126 $34.56-$39.52 per hour with excellent benefits
GIS Technician I: Pay Range: 121 $28.41-$32.48 per hour with excellent benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: training and experience evaluation; written, oral or performance tests; or other assessment methods. The Department of Human Resources reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises.
Applications will be accepted through SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2023. This deadline may be extended to meet the needs of the City.
APPLY ONLINE through NEOGOV from our web site (www.ci.brookfield.wi.us), by clicking on the job title and clicking on the "Apply" link! An email address is necessary to apply online. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can build an application by clicking on the "Build Job Application" link. This application can be saved and used to apply for other job openings. If you do not have a current email address, you can sign up for free email to create your account.
You will receive an email confirming that we have received your application. It is important that your application show all the relevant education and experience you possess. Applications may be rejected if incomplete. You may submit a resume by copying and pasting the document, however the application must be completed in its entirety to be accepted. Online applications are stored on a secure site. Only authorized employees and hiring authorities have access to the information submitted.