Invites applications for the position of:
Associate Engineering Technician
SALARY: $30.39 - $39.03 Hourly
OPENING DATE: 04/26/22
CLOSING DATE: 05/10/22 11:59 PM
The Dane County Highway & Transportation Department in Madison, Wisconsin is recruiting for a full-time (1.0 FTE) Associate Engineering Technician position. The Eligibility List created will be used to fill future vacancies over the next six (6) months.
EQUITY, DEFINITION AND EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
COMMITMENT TO EQUITY AND INCLUSION
As an employer, we strive to provide a work environment where diversity and differing opinions are valued, creativity is encouraged, continuous learning and improvement are fostered, teamwork and open/honest communication are encouraged, and meeting customer needs through quality service is a shared goal. All employees must be able to demonstrate multicultural competence – the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women, racial and ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
Under general supervision, provides a variety of field engineering surveys to assist with highway designs, plans, estimates and drafting. Performs other related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Leads construction staking, property location or other survey work. Operates transit, GNSS survey equipment, level and electronic distance measuring equipment. Determines lines, angles, distances and elevations. Locates boundaries, property lines and records topography. Lays out construction surveys. Keeps field notes and makes sketches and computations. Assists with the plans and designs for highway projects. Makes calculations and estimates. Does computer aided engineering drafting using the Autodesk Civil 3D platform.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Education, Training and Experience:
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to an Associate’s degree in civil engineering technology, surveying or related and two (2) years of engineering technical field work. Requires computer aided drafting experience (AutoCAD Civil 3D platform preferred) as related to highway construction.
Professional Land Surveyor License preferred but not required.
Must have a valid driver’s license, and access to reliable personal transportation, or equivalent. Also refer to Physical and Environmental Requirements section below.
Background Check Statement: Some positions may require a criminal background check which can include fingerprinting due to the nature of the job’s responsibilities. Wisconsin’s Fair Employment Law, s. 111.31 – 111.395, Wis. Stats., prohibits discrimination because of an arrest or conviction record. However, Dane County may disqualify an applicant if the position’s responsibilities are substantially related to the applicant’s criminal history (e.g., the nature of the crime and its relationship to the position, whether hiring, transferring or promoting an applicant would pose an unreasonable risk to the business, its employees, customers and vendors, etc.) Management reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Physical and Environmental Work Requirements:
Must be able to hear and see within normal ranges with or without corrective devices. Adequate physical mobility in field conditions. Must be able to walk long distances, climb over fences and under bridges and culverts. Able to perform outdoor work and drive in all types of weather conditions. Able to perform indoor office and computer work.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Knowledge of the basic principles of civil engineering as related to surveying. Knowledge of mathematics as applied to the computation of distances, angles, areas and traverses.
Knowledge of the sources of engineering and surveying information. Knowledge of topographic and DTM survey. Knowledge of boundary and control surveying. Knowledge of highway construction techniques especially in the area of stakeout requirements. Knowledge of Right-of- Way plat development. Knowledge of modern surveying instrumentation. Knowledge and expertise with various software packages including AutoCAD, Civil 3D, and Trimble Business Center. Ability to assist in the preparation of designs, plans and estimates.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
210 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Room 418 Madison, WI
Position #2022-00247 ASSOCIATE ENGINEERING
Associate Engineering Technician Supplemental Questionnaire
- * 1. Do you have any combination of training and experience equivalent to an Associate's degree in civil engineering technology, surveying or related field?
- * 2. If your answer to question 1 was that you have an Associate's or higher degree in a related field, please describe the related field.
- * 3. Do you have two (2) years of engineering technical field work?
- * 4. The position requires computer aided drafting experience (AutoCAD Civil 3D platform preferred) as related to highway construction. Do you have this experience?
- * 5. Please list the computer aided drafting (CAD) applications/systems you have used.
- * 6. Do you have a Professional Land Surveyor License? (Preferred but not required) Yes No
- * 7. Do you have a valid driver's license? Yes No
- * 8. Do you have access to reliable personal transportation, or equivalent.
- * 9. (GRADED QUESTION) In detail, please describe your work and academic history that has prepared you for this position.
- * 10. (GRADED QUESTION) Please describe a project that you surveyed, collected data, and later completed the construction staking.
- * 11. (GRADED QUESTION) In detail, describe a problem that you discovered while construction staking and how you were able to fix it.
- * 12. In detail, describe an encounter on your current or past job experience with dealing with the public or landowner on a construction project. Describe what you learned from the encounter and how you would have handled it differently to improve the outcome.