$37.39 - $42.75 Hourly
Closing3/18/2023 11:59 PM Central
PURPOSE: The Survey Crew Chief performs para-professional work coordinating the survey phase of public construction phase of public and private infrastructure construction projects such as sanitary sewer, water main, storm sewer and roadway. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring quality survey work is completed for various City departments including, gathering and maintaining topological data for use in design, construction, and boundary surveys according to current standards.
Examples of Duties
Survey Primary Emphasis Responsibilities:
- Researches, records, collects, computes, analyzes and edits survey data.
- Manipulates and edits survey and design data into database files.
- Computes, coordinates, and sets up design point database files for City construction projects.
- Uploads and downloads survey and design data. Prepares and produces various CADD drawings for City departments.
- Takes inventory and maintains City vertical and horizontal datum networks and City land corners.
- Competently operates survey instruments, including GPS, total station, data collector, theodolite, level, and a variety of hand tools. Gathers and lays out survey data, including topological and design data.
- Aids engineers in design layout of City projects by staking, measuring, and calculating projects.
- Calculates angular closure and measures horizontal and vertical field distances.
- Records all angles, distances, and descriptions for each project.
- Performs drafting work as required.
- Interprets information and inquiries regarding survey techniques, strategies, and technical methods.
- Maintains a daily record of all work performed, records measurements, and completes daily reports.
- Maintains field notes with calculations, entering notes into computer filing system.
Additional Engineering Technician Responsibilities (may be associated with the this position).
- Recommends corrections and resolves problems concerning design related to field conditions.
- Makes recommendations regarding level of responsibility when damage occurs during construction.
- Maintains positive departmental public relations with City staff, contractors, developers, property owners and the community in general.
- Communicates with contractors and engineers regarding construction projects.
- Responds or refers complaints.
- Works with Digger’s Hotline program and issuance of street excavation permits.
- Coordinates with supervisor to manage work schedules and project priorities.
- Schedules staff training for safety practices and procedures.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990.
- Associate degree in Civil Engineering or Survey Technology.
- At least 2 years experience with survey and computer software programs, including CADD (Autodesk Civil 3D).
- At least 2 years experience in public works construction, preferably in the public sector.
- At least 2 years supervisory or survey crew chief experience.
- At least 4 years of survey experience, including topographic survey, construction, as-built, route, control, and land.
- Certification as a State of Wisconsin licensed Land Surveyor, preferred.
- Valid State of Wisconsin Driver's License.
- Advanced knowledge and ability to effectively operate computer software programs competently.
- Advanced knowledge of the principals and practices of public works construction, public land boundaries, drafting, and survey.
- Ability to read and interpret construction plans, specifications, and field notes.
Equivalent combinations of training and experience will be considered.